How to Access Free Tax Services

July 10, 2012 by  Filed under: Taxes 

Are you looking for free help for your taxes? There are several organizations and resources that provide free tax assistance and services. Some of the services are available to all taxpayers while others are available to specific groups of taxpayers. Below are four of these free services:

  • IRS Website – The IRS website is probably the best free resource for information and advice on tax issues. The website provides information on how to file returns, deductions and credits that you can claim, information about common mistakes, and updates on changes in procedures and tax amounts. The website also provides other services, such as a downloadable application to remind taxpayers of tax dates, tools for accessing services on your mobile phone, and a service that helps you calculate the amount of Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) you may claim.
  • Free File – Free File is a tax service provided by the IRS in partnership with private tax software providers. The free service is available to taxpayers whose income is within a given threshold. About 80% of taxpayers qualify for this free service. Free File enables taxpayers input details about their incomes, expenses, and other information to the software and the software prepares the return for free. The software also enables free submission of the returns. To access Free File, a taxpayer needs to first go to the IRS website and then follow a link to the partner websites that provide the Free File services. For taxpayers whose income is above the Free File threshold, a fee is charged for preparing tax returns using these software websites. However, online submission of tax returns is free for all taxpayers.
  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax Counselling – The “Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Counselling Organisation” is a free volunteers’ service that is accessible to low and some middle income earners. The service is also available to other groups of taxpayers including people in the military and senior citizens. The service provides advice, information, and tax preparation services free of charge to qualifying citizens. You can visit the IRS website to find a Volunteer income Tax assistance and Counseling Center near you.
  • IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center – The IRS has local offices available in every major city and many of the other smaller cities. These offices are open to all taxpayers and they provide free tax consultations and advice. Therefore, if you need to meet an IRS staff member to help you with an IRS matter, you can always visit your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center and find help. You can check out the IRS website or call the toll free IRS number to know the location of an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center near you.

Rob L Daniel and partners of Limon Whitaker & Morgan, for years have helped businesses and individuals Nationwide, with their delinquent IRS & State tax problems. The firm is based in Los Angeles, California USA. Tel:888.321.6188

You have permission to republish and use this article in your newsletter, website, or blog as long as you leave the article fully intact, and include this resource box at the end of the article.

Article Source:

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Prev Post:
Next Post: